Thursday, May 30, 2013

Star Valley, Jackson, and throw up

Let it be known that I cannot recall a Memorial Day where it has been nice and sunny. Nor can I recall a Memorial Day that we haven't gone to Star Valley. Perhaps there is a connection there that I'm not picking up on.
But I still love me some Wyoming.
This year I realized that Memorial Day is becoming less and less about remembering loved ones, and more about shopping and camping. Shopping and camping are perfectly great activities, and ones that I happen to love. I can even love them on Memorial Day. This is just my little observation.

With that said, we spent the weekend traveling through Jackson and staying in a cabin in Thayne, WY.
One day was spent driving through Teton National Park searching for bears. Sadly we only found a Moose and lot's of duck poop. It's never too much of a disappointment because of the beautiful scenery. Even Stori noticed how "pretty" it all was.
Apparently we missed seeing a grizzly by 20 minutes, so when we found a Park Ranger we decided to follow him, thinking he was going where the bear was. Turns out he was just driving down an incredibly rough/bumpy road that gave one little red-head a case of the throw-ups. Yep. All over her carseat! It was so disgusting that I sat my pregnant self on the side of the road retching, trying my best to not spew all over myself. Luckily I married the most amazing man ever and he cleaned up Stori and her carseat without even a grumble. In fact, he gave Stori loves and told her he was sorry she got sick. Best. Dad. Ever. After that excitement, we decided to cut our Jackson trip a little shorter than planned and took off for Thayne after we ate a very late lunch. (For some reason we didn't feel like eating right after the throw-up fiasco).
We got to the cabin and my nice cousin washed all of the puke stuff while we gave Stori a bath and got her ready for bed. Dan and I watched "North America" while my mom hung out with her family.
before the throw up

As for memorial day, we (my mom) were able to take flowers to several of my family members graves (and even one to sweet Desi). My Dad's headstone looked exceptionally beautiful this year. I sent a picture of it to my siblings and my sister Aleisa replied, "...it's weird that it doesn't seem like a new headstone anymore." It's true, it doesn't. Stori loved climbing on it, despite our attempts to keep her off, but it was kind of fun telling her about her Papa. She counted all the names on the back of the headstone and it felt oddly comforting to have her acknowledge the words there.

After the cemetery we had a potluck at my Aunt and Uncles house. Stori played and played and played. Then she cried and cried and cried when she could no longer play. She is very spoiled whenever there are older cousins around because they all seem to want to make her happy. Which is easy for me! :)
After lunch and visiting, we made our annual trip to Maverick for some frozen yogurt and then drove home through Fall Creek. It is seriously such a beautiful drive! Dan and I made it our goal to really soak up the beauty around here before we move out of here next year.

2 comments:

  1. SO glad that you got to avoid the puke! I hope we make it out to at least Jackson before we leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun looking at all the pictures on your blog. You guys are such a cute family!

    ReplyDelete