Monday, August 5, 2013

Potty training

This sassy lil thing is almost completely potty trained. She still has issues with going #2 around people so there has only been 2 times that she has done that on the potty. Even in our house she will run to a closet, hide under clothes, or find the back of our hallway to do her business. AND, if you try to talk to her while she is going, she says "look away...look away." haha she is a funny little thing, she is.

Yesterday was our first outing in panties (see pictures above). Dan was worried that she would have an accident so we took a towel with us on our walk, but she was a champ.
However...when we got back to our apt she ran to the potty but stopped just short of it and said a very sad, "Oh Noooooo." she didn't quite make it. At least she looked cool on our walk though... 7 necklaces, panties, crocs, glasses, and no pants. Classy.

So this is how I am potty training, and it has worked great:
-Designate several days of staying inside (this worked great right now because all of our friends have abandoned us during the 7 week break).
-Don't put panties or a diaper on her and only allow her certain places for her to play in case she has an accident.
-Set a timer for 20 minutes and have her sit on the potty and tell her very happily to go pee. Which she did every single time. The second day I did it every hour. The third day and every day after that, I would just have her go when I thought it had been a while or when she would tell me.
-Have her go right before and after she sleeps. She usually wakes up dry from nap time but in the morning her diaper is slightly wet.
-If we are just home hanging out, I either keep her naked with a shirt or just put panties on with her shirt so she can go easier.
-I don't use a reward like candy or stickers or anything. Her reward is getting to flush it! She loves that!!

I realize that this was a bad time to start potty training, because I'll have a newborn in a week or so, but she was the one who started talking about it and actually asking to go. So I did! If she reverts back after I have the baby, I'll just have to try and not stress about it and work on it again.

1 comment:

  1. Mel - I can't read your blog without tearing up, even when it's about potty training! I am so impressed with Stori, and jealous and sad that we aren't there too!!! We miss you guys like crazy!

    ReplyDelete